Up & Coming Changes at Walt Disney World
SO MANY new changes have recently been announced for Walt Disney World! If you have not been to Disney World in a while, things will be looking pretty difference in the near future. It seems as though the upcoming 50th anniversary in 2021 has Disney committed to revamping many aspects of our beloved parks and resorts. Here is a summary of the recently announced exciting additions!
1) NEW Transportation Services: Disney is in the process of adding a “Minnie Van” service - slated first for guests staying at the Boardwalk Resort and the Yacht and Beach Club Resorts, this Uber-like service will allow guests to arrange their own personal transportation in a Minnie themed minivan with a Disney employed driver to anywhere on Disney property directly from their smartphones. Fee, implementation date, and other details have not yet been released.
Also in the works is the addition of Skyliner Gondolas. This aerial cable car system will connect Art of Animation, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. The assumption here is that this will be a free transportation service. Details on construction and projected opening dates have not been released. I will be watching these developments and will update when new information becomes available.
2) NEW at Hollywood Studios: The much talked about Toy Story Land now has an opening time frame, slated for summer of 2018! In this land, you are “shrunken” to toy size in Andy’s backyard. At least 2 new attractions are confirmed- Slinky Dog Dash, a family style coaster, as well as Alien Swirling Saucer.
Meanwhile, the new Star Wars Land, officially named Star Wars- Galaxy’s Edge is set to open in late 2019. At least 2 new attractions are confirmed for this area as well- one in which guests will fly missions in the Millennium Falcon, and one large scale attraction set inside of a Hangar Bay of a Star Destroyer.
Additionally in Hollywood Studios, the first ever Mickey themed attraction, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, is planned and will feature state of the art technology for a “2 ½” D experience which does not require glasses. This attraction will replace The Great Movie Ride, which will end its run on August 13, 2017.
3) NEW at EPCOT: A new E-Ticket attraction will replace Ellen’s Energy Adventure (which will end its run on August 13, 2017). This new experience will be based on Guardians of the Galaxy.
A brand new Mission: Space Green mission (less intense) and updated Orange mission (more intense) will be added in just a matter of weeks. Beginning in August 2017, these new missions will be up and running for guest enjoyment.
A new space themed Table Service restaurant next to Mission: Space is also being planned!
Over in the France pavilion, a new 4-D attraction based on Ratatouille is being added. This attraction currently runs in Disneyland Paris to rave fan reviews.
4) NEW at Magic Kingdom: A new live entertainment theater is coming to Main Street USA. No details yet on what type of entertainment it will house, its exact location, or projected completion date.
A new Tron themed coaster attraction is being added to Tomorrowland near Space Mountain. Already in successful operation in Shanghai Disneyland, the addition of this ride in Magic Kingdom has no timetable except to say it will be open for the 50th anniversary in 2021.
5) NEW Resorts: A 15th Disney Vacation Club property will be constructed near EPCOT. Disney Riviera Resort will feature a rooftop restaurant offering wonderful view of the nighttime spectaculars at both EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. Targeted to open in 2019, 300 units of varying accommodations will be available.
A new exclusively Star Wars themed resort, described to be a one of a kind luxury resort mixed with “living adventure” to 100% immerse guests into the world of Star Wars, has been announced as well. Timeframe for construction not yet released.
So there you have it! That is quite a lot of change to keep things interesting for Disney fans - exciting things for both newbies and repeat guests alike! I will report more as these projects develop! As always, please contact UNIGLOBE for your free no obligation price quote for your own Magical Disney vacation!